Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
The sad story of one loyal dog is breaking hearts on TikTok. When two dogs named Abbey and Hawk were discovered in a Texas ditch, Houston K-911 Rescue stepped in to help the duo. The pair was discovered by a mail carrier who contacted animal rescue authorities. When they were discovered, Hawk was unable to walk. Abby was wandering the streets near where he lay, as though looking for help for her friend. Despite her emaciated state, the loyal dog refused to leave her friend behind.
A mail carrier spotted two emaciated dogs hanging in a ditch together. One was unable to walk. I drove out early the next morning not knowing if they’d still be there or if they found help. Unfortunately both were still there exactly where she said they’d be. They’ve been named Hawk and Abby. Hawk is definitely the worse of the two and I’m hoping his body can heal from all the trauma. They deserve so much more than this 🥺 Both are now under the care of Houston K-911 Rescue, their donation info below for anyone that would like to Donate towards their medical expenses. Thank you! Paypal.me/houstonk911 Venmo houstonk-911 Zelle [email protected] Houstonk911rescue.org
After being transported to the rescue, Abbey was put on a feeding schedule to help her gain weight, while Hawk received necessary critical care. Sadly, the grievously injured dog did not pull through as his kidneys had already begun to shut down due to his injuries. However, Abbey continues to recover. She is slowly beginning to gain confidence after her ordeal.
Animal shelters and rescues in the Houston area are overwhelmed. Many shelters in Houston and surrounding Harris have stated that they are at capacity. Sadly, this trend is mirrored across much of the country as animal surrenders and abandonment climb. Houston K-911 Rescue says that they have between 100 and 150 dogs under their care at any time.
We encourage everyone thinking of getting a pet to adopt instead of shop. Read more resources about adopting animals on One Green Planet, including 7 Reasons to Adopt Your Next Furry Best Friend, 5 Reasons Why Everyone Should Adopt a Pet, and These Heartwarming Before and After Pictures of Adopted Rescue Animals Will Make Your Day! Read tips for pet adoptions and what to consider before adopting an animal. We recommend using these apps to find shelter dogs near you!
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!